‘Izbuc’ Monastery and the Healing Spring
‘Izbuc’ Monastery is an attractive tourist site visited by many pilgrims on important religious events, such as the Dormition (referring to the Orthodox faith which marks the passing of the ‘Virgin Mary’ from her earthly life) and on Ascension Day.
Another tourist site, close to the monastery, is the Healing Spring ( Izvorul Tamaduirii) situated in the village of Calugari surrounded by the forests of the Codru Moma mountains. It is believed that the first structure of this monastery was a hut built by a hermit in the 11th or 12th century. It was used as a place of refuge by the monks after 1772. Officially the monastery was founded in 1903 by the Archimandrite Atanasie Popescu. In 1947, the monastery was attacked and all monks were killed, except one. He was able to escape and guard the ‘candle of faith’. In the year of 1954, he was joined by Hieromonk Ioanichie Popescu, and later with the help of bishop Vasile Coman, the monastery began to flourish.
‘Izbuc’ is the name given to intermittently erupting water springs.
People of faith often visit the Healing Spring in search for relief of aches and pains of the body and soul. Legends say that the spring became famous after a blind boy got lost in the forest and came across the spring. When he drank the water and washed his face, his vision miraculously returned. The monastery is also famous for the Orthodox Icon of the Virgin Mary (identical to the Greek Icon from Mount Athos) which is revered to grant the gift of fertility to woman as well as peace and tranquility to all worshippers.